Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

WJMC

Wow. WJMC was absolutely amazing. I met so many fantastic people, saw so many unforgettable things, and had so much fun in general.
I don't know if this is true at other schools, but at my school, everyone wants to be a doctor or an engineer. There's a few people that want to be teachers. But very, very few want to pursue a career in journalism. I cannot begin to tell you how great it was to be around 240 other people who love and care about the same things that I do. I am now happy to say that I have friends--and, more than likely, future colleagues--from all over the country, and I feel confident that each and every one of them will go on to do very impressive things.
On a less sentimental note, I had a chance to meet with my House Representative's communications director, which was very cool. I even got to share my idea for a bill, so it was pretty much the greatest meeting ever. Not sure if anything will come of it, but I love the idea that I could be a part of changing some part of the political world. As one of our speakers, Kevin McCarthy, would say, I was crying some serious nerd tears.
I honestly don't want this week to end. I thought it would just be something that would look good on college applications and teach me something about journalism, but it ended up being so much more than that. To anyone considering attending in the future, I cannot recommend it enough. It will change your life. I am so grateful to the people at George Mason University for giving me this opportunity. I laughed, I cried, and, most importantly, I rapped to Lil John with Hoda Kotb.

No comments:

Post a Comment